Pages

Friday 29 June 2012

Road trip and the search for the twinkie


Just a few pictures of the road trip to a few days away, where en-route we stumbled on a pretty amazing "garden centre" which was pretty a hodge-podge of various things under one roof.


Donut peaches...my favourite! Only available for a limited period each year due to the short season they have and primarily come from Italy where they are apparently a "poor man's Bellini." These peaches tastes so intensely sweet of peaches...you know that first bite where a fruit taste bland and watery, these babies dont!

 Shelves crammed with lovelies...making it an intensely pretty sight.


Such a colourful little guy no?

These are celestial parakeets and have an eerie glow to them in a certain light..such beauties

And an axolotl!



For a good few years I have been search for the ever ellusive twinkie, some american delicacy that featured as a much beloved snack in many american films but never makes it as far as being imported into the UK. Even after being to America and several of it's states, I've not encountered a twinkie in any shops until now...

In some random shop in Torquay...

Hooray!

A twinkie in all its cakey goodness...but it tasted like I thought it would...weird but creamy! We brits got a few cakes that can top these twinkies but at least I have now tasted one and the search is now at a rest! I love american sweets and food but the prices of these goodies after import charges is just stupid! 
I swear its cheaper to post to someone than buy it!


We dined out the second night in Torquay at No7 fish Bistro and the menu is just fish, fish, fish! I'm careful eating this stuff as I'm allergic to the more oily, stronger fishes but damn it's so good! I had Mussels for starter that literally melted in your mouth...never had mussels that do that and the sauce is divine!
 Cuttlefish starters in a wonderful tangy sauce...I reallyed liked this one too and cuttlefish is another fish I have now tried for the first time. 

  
Plaice filled with peeled prawns and cooked in a cheese sauce....to die for!

 Best of three selection which included a mini plaice filled with prawns in cheese sauce, bistro's own fish and chips and mildly curried salmon with banana chutney that tasted soooo good!

There was more but I didn't get the pictures as too busy eating. I loved the food, the dishes were well balanced and the flavours just sent you to seventh heaven. Only let down was the appalling service being the length of time between dishes and it took forever for orders to be taken and the bill to be paid. This let down the whole experience...I mean 40 minutes to chase the bill?! Really?!

More pictures to come. Just rushing to upload a few now to share!

Birdie love! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! Please feel free to leave a comment, I love to hear from you! Comments that are deemed rude/nasty will be taken down so play nice! XOXO